Postpartum Sitz Soak Bath
After going through labour and having your baby, you will be sore as your body heals. An after-birth sitz soak bath will provide the relief you seek, as it cleanses and soothes the perineum and the surrounding sensitive areas.
What is a postpartum sitz bath?
A sitz bath is a warm, shallow bath that cleanses and soothes the perineum, which can sometimes tear during birthing. It relieves pain, itching, haemorrhoids and the tears during childbirth and labour. A postnatal bath like this can assist the healing process, and a sitz soak has provided valuable relief for many new mums.
Why take a maternity sitz bath?
Soaking in our sitz tub will help relieve constipation, reduce any perineal trauma and swelling, help alleviate itchiness and rid yourself of those pesky haemorrhoids. You can combine your sitz bath with our specially formulated herbal sitz soak.
They're especially recommended for women who have recently given birth vaginally, as the water temperature in a sitz bath increases blood flow to the perineal area and promotes faster healing.
By sitting in our ergonomic and specially designed tub, you can relieve your itchiness as you heal, cleanse yourself effectively and help to ward off infections as you recover from the marathon of pregnancy, labour and childbirth.
How to take a postpartum recovery sitz bath
Our sitz bath fits effortlessly on top of your toilet, meaning taking this postnatal healing bath is as easy as 1, 2, 3. No bathtub is needed - just your sitz bath, sitz soak and water. Once done soaking, our smart design means you just tip it down the loo and fold it down into its discreet design. No mess and ultimate postpartum healing! Follow our process step by step.
- Lift the toilet lid and seat. Place your sitz bath bowl on the rim of your toilet. Make sure the bowl is firmly in place and won’t move around.
- Fill the sitz bath bowl with lukewarm water (NOT HOT). The water should cover your perineum when seated in the bath. Make sure the water temperature is comfortable. Any discomfort, discontinue use immediately.
- Add your postpartum sitz soak to the water (always check ingredients and do a patch test first)
- The bowl has slots in the back. This lets water flow out so it doesn’t overflow onto the floor and allows easy cleanup once done.
- Gently sit down on the sitz bath bowl. Hold on to a railing or ask for help from a family member, friend, or caregiver if needed.
If you have a wound, the water may cause pain at first, but the pain should ease. Make sure the area that needs treatment is under the water.
ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IF YOU HAVE ANY HESITATIONS OR CONCERNS.
- Sit in the water of your herbal sitz bath for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Add more warm water as needed to keep the water comfortable.
- Get up slowly from the tub or toilet. Hold on to a railing. Or ask for help from a family member, friend, or caregiver if needed.
- Gently pat your anal area, perineum, and genitals dry with a clean towel. Don’t rub the area.
- Wash your hands.
- Wash the bathtub or sitz bath bowl with soap and water after each use.
- Use a sitz bath 2 to 3 times a day, or as often as your healthcare provider advises.
How will an afterbirth sitz soak improve my healing?
Sitz baths have healing properties which include:
- Increasing blood flow to the perineum, vulva, vagina, etc. Warm water increases blood flow, which can help promote healing and reduce swelling.
- Increased blood flow and soothing properties can also help relieve itching and pain.
- Aids in healing haemorrhoids.
- Promotes relaxation, which can help with cramping, constipation and overall discomfort.
- Warmth can help relax sore pelvic muscles.
- Cleanses the area, which can feel a bit yucky with the combination of lochia (postpartum bleeding and discharge), sweating, and wearing a sanitary pad.
What ingredients are in the herbal sitz bath soak?
An essential addition to your sitz bath, the herbal sitz bath soak is made from several ingredients chosen to aid in healing. It is made up of magnesium, organic dried chamomile, sage, yarrow and calendula, lavender and lavender essential oils. The herbal sitz bath soak can be used with your sitz bath, as an addition to regular baths or even made into a cold brew (and placed into a peri bottle), to soothe between your legs after birth.
How soon after childbirth can I have a sitz bath?
Always check with your healthcare provider as to what they recommend. Most often, you can have your first postpartum recovery bath within the first couple of days, but always run it past your healthcare team first.
Included is a discreet carry and storage case.
Choose Bubba Bump as your partner in postpartum care
Are you looking for other options to help with your postpartum recovery? Find disposable postpartum underwear, ice and heat packs for your recovering breasts and perineum and herbal bath soaks online today. We also stock a range of postpartum recovery kits at Bubba Bump, which contains all the essentials you need to aid in a smooth recovery from labour.
Looking for something for a partner or friend who has just given birth? Take a look at our range of postpartum care gifts.
Free 14 Days Returns
Free shipping on orders over $24
Free EXPRESS shipping on orders over $99
As Seen In
Postpartum Sitz Soak Bath
- HSHelen S.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 starsYesterdayWelcome addition to my postpartum recovery
While I have not used it yet, it fits the toilet well and is very easy to apply and empty. It will be a welcome addition to my postpartum recovery.